You lost a tooth and desire the best tooth replacement possible. At Schneider Family Dentistry in Gaithersburg, Dr. Adam Schneider and Dr. Katie Staub recommend and place dental implants--true artificial teeth which reside right in the jaw. Highly successful and faithful imitators of natural teeth, implants restore oral health, function and appearance.
What is a dental implant?
A dental implant is a titanium screw or cylinder placed into the jaw bone. At Schneider Family Dentistry in Gaithersburg, your dentist completes the entire implant process--from examination and X-rays to oral impressions to oral surgery and restoration--right in the treatment room. Dr. Schneider and Dr. Staub use implants to fill smile gaps caused by decay, abscess, oral trauma or congenital problems such as misshapen or missing teeth.
A single implant has three parts: the implant itself, an extension post and porcelain crown. The post and crown complete the implant after the site has completely healed.
The jaw bone adheres to the dental implant through something called osseointegration, This process creates a firm and almost unbreakable bond. In fact, that's a main benefit of dental implants: they actually improve the width, height and density of the jaw bone.
In addition to replacing one tooth, implants can support multi-tooth bridges, partial dentures and full dentures. So, even patients with substantial tooth loss can take advantage of these great dental prosthetics.
Can you receive dental implants?
Many adults and older teenagers can if they:
- Are in good overall health
- Have enough bone in their jaws to support implants (this is determined by X-ray and CT scan)
- Faithfully floss daily and brush their teeth twice a day to avoid plaque and tartar build-up
Plan on a consultation with Dr. Schneider or Dr. Staub. They'll fully explain the process, costs and timeline. Dental implant treatments take several weeks to complete; however, the process is comfortable and the results..amazing.
Miscellaneous facts about dental implants
- Research shows that dental implants last upwards of 25 years, says Columbia University School of Dental Medicine.
- Smokers can receive implants but should abstain from tobacco for 3 days before and 3 days after their procedures. Cigarettes can break down implant sites and cause peri-implantitis, an infection similar to gum disease. Quitting tobacco is best.
- Precise imaging techniques help your dentist accurately place your implants for maximum functionality.
Find out more
We recommend you come in for an individual consultation with Dr. Schneider or Dr. Staub. Learn your options, and look forward to a complete and attractive smile. Call Schneider Family Dentistry today at (301) 948-3111.